new to yoga
What to do when you get to Emmaus Yoga:
- Arrive a few minutes early to class.
- Enter our lobby (directly across the hall from the studio) before going into our practice studio. Leave your shoes and coats there. Always check in for class with the instructor before taking a class.
- If you have a mat, bring your own. We have some to borrow if you forget. You may also want to bring a towel for perspiration.
- Alert the instructor to any injuries or limitations you have prior to starting class. This will help the teacher know how to adjust you or give you a modified pose if necessary. This is for your safety and the longevity of your practice.
- Silence your cell phone before each class even if you are leaving your phone in the lobby. There may be students waiting for the next class or staff working in the office.
- If you are in an emergency or on call situation, let the instructor know before class.
- Enter our practice studio quietly and take some time to meditate or stretch gently.
- If you are a little late please enter the studio being quiet and mindful of others. If you are going to be more then 10 minutes late please consider coming to another class.
- Leaving early is okay. If you need to leave early please let the teacher know ahead of time. Finish your practice 10 minutes before you need to leave and take that time to relax in savasana. Quietly leave the room when you have finished. Try to time your exit before the rest of the class goes into relaxation.
What to do after a yoga class:
- We know yoga can make you feel a little spaced out sometimes, please pause before you leave to fold blankets neatly and to clean and put away any props you borrowed for class.
- Make sure you have All your personal belongings you came in with.
- Drink water after class to re-hydrate.
Your home practice:
- Cultivating a home practice is essential to sustaining a lifelong practice of yoga. Take time each day to stretch and unwind. A little goes a long way. 10 minutes of gentle stretches, mindful breathing and or meditation are all it takes to greatly enhance your life.
- Try a short online video, listen to relaxing music or go for a walk in nature. With consistency your practice will improve over time. Avoid comparing yourself to others and enjoy the present moment.
Yoga is fantastic physical exercise but more importantly, yoga is a practice in mindfulness. The following tips will help you on your journey into a more conscious lifestyle.
- Finish your phone conversation outside and silence your cell phone when you enter the office, then leave your phone in your car or the office. This is your hour to Turn OFF and Tune IN, get to know yourself and your fellow yogis!
- Be aware of personal hygiene. Come to class showered and refrain from wearing any fragrances to class. We will be breathing deeply and many people are sensitive to strong smells.
- Keep your mat clean. Wipe it down regularly and wash it occasionally. We have mats to borrow but having your own personal mat is best for hygienic reasons.
- Dress in layers. You may get warm as you practice and cool as you relax. Adjust as necessary.
- Practice on an empty stomach. We recommend you wait three hours after a meal to practice. Yoga has many twists and inversions, an empty belly makes yoga much more comfortable to practice. If you must eat before class eat very light food or have a little juice.
- Consider your yoga wardrobe choices before going to class. Can you stretch and move comfortably? Can you bend forward without your shirt falling into your face? Do you need to constantly adjust your top or waistband? Wear clothes that limit these types or distractions and don’t forget a hair tie or headband if you have long locks to contend with.